Saturday, September 22, 2012

Quiet time on the front porch

I have been waiting for a morning like this! I sat out on the porch and read my bible and had my coffee. I listened. I really listened. To the birds. To the dogs barking. To the leaves rustling in the trees because the squirrels were playing in them. I listened. I listened to God as He spoke gently to my heart through His Word. I thought I would read in the Psalms this morning and so I randomly opened my bible to Psalm 106. The first line of Psalm 106 is "Praise The Lord!". So I did!! I have so much to praise Him for!
"Who can list the glorious miracles of The Lord? Who can ever praise Him enough?" (vs. 2 NLT)
That is how I feel. He has done so many miracles in my life that I could never list them all. But as I was reading, I came to verse 7. My bible says "They soon forgot his many acts of kindness to them". This grieved my soul. Because I too, like the Israelites, sometimes forget his many acts of kindness toward me. Verse 8 begins with precious words. "Even so, He saved them--". When I read those words, I cannot explain the feeling that I have. Even so.
There are other verses in this psalm that tell how they (and I) forgot what great things he did for them. How he rescued them over and over. How they rebelled and disobeyed him. Then, there are those sweet words again....even so. "Even so, he pitied them in their distress and heard their cries". He remembered his covenant with them. He remained faithful even though they did not. He is always faithful even when I am not. That is such a blessed assurance. I make choices every day to disobey. I sometimes forget all the amazing things he has done for me. But those sweet words will be a reminder to me that my God is faithful. Even so...

No comments:

Post a Comment